An acute asthma attack can be prevented if the right steps are taken on a regular basisby Dr. Deepak Paul 08-Aug-2014
Post Your Comments
Asthma is a frightening medical condition, which is caused by a hypersensitivity reaction. The hypersensitivity reaction leads to bronchospasm followed by swelling of the mucous membranes, increases in bronchial mucous secretion finally leading to respiratory distress. To be precise Asthma is a reversible inflammatory airway disease.
Breathing exercises are very useful in the treatment of asthma and such breathing exercises are provided by yoga. Yoga has many breathing exercises that are very useful for asthmatics since they provide the following:
* Help in strengthening of respiratory muscles and reduce the sensation of breathlessness by increasing the functioning of the diaphragm.
* Enhance clearing of airways and increase the confidence to withstand breathlessness and feeling of uneasiness.
* Help in elimination of inefficient use of accessory muscles of respiration particularly abdominal and neck muscles.
For those who get bouts of asthma attacks mild aerobic exercises are best suitable as a form of exercise. However, there is an exception to the rule when it comes to swimming for those who suffer from asthma. It has been observed and found that asthmatics are allergic to chlorine; hence, swimming in public pool must be avoided by those who have asthma.
Hydrotherapy is another useful physical medicine technique, which is useful to restore normal body condition for a patient suffering from asthma. In hydrotherapy a hot, wrung out towel is placed over the chest, which helps in relaxing the breathing muscles and restores normal way of breathing.
During acute asthma attacks, steam inhalation is very useful, which can be done by using few drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water.
Adequate Diet plan
Diet has an important role to play in reducing number of asthma attacks. Eating principles that should be in particularly followed by those who suffer from asthma are as follows:
* Always use moderately low fat and low sugar ingredients in your regular diet.
* Red meat and dairy products must be avoided.
* Fruits and vegetables must be a part of regular diet.
There are certain foods that help in controlling asthma and they are as follows:
1. Garlic, onions, grapes, pineapple, green leafy vegetables, almonds, walnuts, carrots, figs, sesame seeds and honey are very helpful in controlling asthma.
2. Reduction in inflammation and dilating of bronchi can be done by making use of foods such as cauliflower, cherries, raw nuts and seeds, sprouted seeds and grains in regular diet.
3. Juices of fresh vegetables and fruits, which are taken on an empty stomach each morning, help in the prevention of asthma attacks. Such vegetables and fruits include the following:
· Carrot and papaya
· Lime and garlic
Asthma is a very serious medical condition, which needs an immediate course of action and proper treatment. All these preventive measures are well researched and found to be effective to improve and preclude asthma.